We (the owners) of this blog are not compensated to provide opinion on the books, literature, websites, and/or various other topics that we review. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely our own.

© 2014, Jess @ A Cup of Tea & A Big Book · All rights reserved.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Book Review: Empath- Becca J. Campbell

I had the opportunity to read and review EmpathBecca J. Campbell through the Read it and Reap program on Goodreads.  It was a fantastic read and I hope you enjoy the reivew! Please leave a comment or two letting us know what you thought!

Title: Empath
Author: Becca J. Campbell 
Publisher/Year: Createspace/2013
Genre: New Adult Romance/Urban Fantasy
Format: Mobi
Other Books By Author: Foreign Identity, Gateway To Reality, Pulled




The Juicy Stuff:
Supernatural empathy isn't a gift, it's a curse. Anywhere she goes, Jade's emotions are replaced by those of the people around her. Jade grew up in a suburb of Colorado Springs, protected from other people by her parents. Now she faces college-and the world-with nothing to shield her from unwanted feelings. 
When Cam, a classmate with a major crush on her, unintentionally hijacks her emotions, Jade struggles to keep from being carried away in feelings of attraction. 
When Ethan, a psychopath with a thirst for fear, fixates on her, the emotional impact could be lethal. Caught in a deadly trap, Jade must untangle the emotions and find a way to use her empathic curse to overcome this killer or be overcome by him

How It Made Me Feel:
I was immensely surprised with this book from the very beginning.  From the first sentence, the author drew me into her world and I stayed there until the last period on the last page.  I didn't even want it to end! I was hooked, I was emotional, I was eager to get back to the book when something else came up.  Becca J. Campbell wove a great storyline with some very detailed characters and set up the start of a series that I, for one, will want to finish.  Jade and Logan are two characters that I really enjoyed and loved the way their relationship grew and changed.  It was never stagnant and definitely kept me interested.  This was not a topic I was familiar with, but I loved the delivery, the story line, and the characters.

What I Thought Worked:
I greatly enjoyed that the book kept me interested from the get go.  There wasn't a moment from when I started reading to when I was finished that I thought, " Well, you know, this part isn't interesting, maybe I shouldn't finish it."  I never felt that.  I loved how fast paced it was but still kept everything neat and tidy and easy to connect.  I also enjoyed the depth of character the author had for Logan and Jade.  They were extremely dimensional characters for such short development in the amount of pages of the book.  Logan was easy to relate to and I found myself a fan of his character as soon as he was introduced.

What I Thought Didn't Work:
Honestly, there wasn't too much in the book that I really did not enjoy.  If anything, I wish Cam's character had been a bit more consistent.  During some of the readings, it seemed like he was a dimmer version of himself that we had met earlier in the book.  But it wasn't anything that distracted me from the overall storyline. 

Rating

Why It Got That Rating:
I really loved this book.  I could relate to the characters, I was enthused and hooked from the beginning, and I was able to read it and be transported into her story.  This is definitely a book I would love to add to my physical bookshelf and have the chance to read over and over.

Who Would I Recommend To:
I would recommend to anyone who loves urban fantasy.  It was a great story with a great background.

Last Impressions/Remarks:
Though I just finished this book, I'm ready to read it again and enjoy the writing and the characters.  It left an impression on me that won't soon go away and I am impressed. :)

Things We Should Talk About

  • Have you ever read this book?
  • What do you think on supernatural abilities like Empathic tendencies?
  • Would you ever consider reading this book?

I hope you enjoy reading my review and maybe it will help you decide one way or another on whether or not you'd like to read it.  I sure enjoyed it! :D

Keep on reading, Lovelies!
”Perfectly-Jess

3 comments :

  1. This one looks interesting! It's been quite a long time that I haven't read New adult romance!
    oh and lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I greatly enjoyed it! :)

      Thank you! If you do end up reading it, let me know what you thought! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! We greatly appreciate your support and taking the time to read our blog! We hope you enjoy it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...