We (the owners) of this blog are not compensated to provide opinion on the books, literature, websites, and/or various other topics that we review. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely our own.

© 2014, Jess @ A Cup of Tea & A Big Book · All rights reserved.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Book Review: Misdirection-Austin Williams






Author:  Austin Williams
Publisher/Year:  Diversion Books/2014
Genre: Thriller, Mystery, Crime
Format:  Paperback






The Juicy Stuff:
A street magician needs more than sleight-of-hand to survive getting embroiled in a murder case in this blistering novel of suspense, perfect for fans of Harlan Coben and George Pelecanos.
After years of chasing fame and hedonistic excess in the bright lights of Las Vegas, Rusty “The Raven” Diamond has returned home to Ocean City to piece his life back together. When he finds himself an innocent suspect in his landlord’s brutal murder, Rusty abandons all hope of maintaining a tranquil existence. Acting on impulse, he digs into the investigation just enough to anger both the police and a local drug cartel.
As the unsolved case grows more complex, claiming new victims and inciting widespread panic, Rusty feels galvanized by the adrenaline he’s been missing for too long. But his newfound excitement threatens to become an addiction, leading him headfirst into an underworld he’s been desperately trying to escape.
Austin Williams creates an unforgettable protagonist in Rusty, a flawed but relatable master of illusion in very real danger. As the suspense builds to an explosively orchestrated climax, Williams paints a riveting portrait of both a city—and a man—on the edge.

How It Made Me Feel:
I loved this book.  From the very beginning, all the way to the end.  Rusty was quite the protagonist that was always surprising me.  I never knew what was coming next and I enjoyed the surprises. The setting of the book was fabulous and I couldn't help but enjoy the various characters who were involved in the story plot.  They were created with depth, well thought out, and entertaining to read.   The book kept my attention and I was eagerly looking forward to the next chapters. 

What I Thought Worked:
I loved how flawed and particular Rusty was.  It made him a character that was easy to relate to in some ways, but also gave us a character that was different and showed insight to a completely different world.  I have never read a book where the protagonist was a prior magician and so obsessed with Chicory Coffee, but I wouldn't have asked for a better character. 

What I Thought Didn't Work:
I didn't have anything in the book that I disliked enough to change my thoughts on the book.

Rating

Why It Got That Rating:
I loved my paperback copy and I can't wait to re read it!  It definitely deserves a place on my bookshelf and I am eagerly awaiting the next book in the series!

Who Would I Recommend To:
I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the crime or thriller genres and enjoy a quirky character.

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! We greatly appreciate your support and taking the time to read our blog! We hope you enjoy it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...